FEBRUARY 21, 2022
Additional priority list of goods for wholesale and retail
On 12 November 2021, the Ministry of Commerce issued a new Bulletin 19/2021 (“New Bulletin 2021”) to include additional goods to the priority list of goods permitted to be sold through wholesale and retail channels by foreign companies and joint venture companies. Previously the Ministry of Commerce had issued Notification 25/2018 (allowing foreign companies and joint venture companies to engage in retail and wholesale business within Myanmar) and Bulletin 3/2018 (priority list of goods allowed for wholesale and retail for foreign and joint venture companies). Please see our earlier Client Alerts here and here on Notification 25/2018 and Bulletin 3/2018 respectively.
The purpose of the New Bulletin 2021 is to meet the demand of these goods in the local market. The New Bulletin 2021 revokes the previous Bulletin 3/2018. Additional goods included in the priority list are raw materials for food and animal feed, industrial machinery and industrial raw materials, related products of the various type of spare parts for motor vehicles and machinery.
Therefore, the current priority list of goods are as below:
- Consumer Goods (including clothes, watch, cosmetics, etc.,)
- Foodstuff including:
- Agricultural products (except the products which are not allowed to be imported)
- Aquatic products
- Animal products
- Instant food
- Various type of beverages
- Liquor manufactured domestically
- Raw materials for food
- Household products (including enamel ware, earthenware, glassware, glass)
- Kitchen appliances
- Pharmaceuticals and hospital equipment
- Animal feed and veterinary drugs and raw materials for animal feed
- Sports goods
- Communication devices (including phones, cameras)
- Electronic goods
- Construction materials and equipment
- Electronic devices
- Chemical products for industrial use
- Industrial machinery and industrial raw materials
- Seeds, agricultural supplies and other materials uses in agriculture
- Machinery for farming / agriculture
- Various type of machines and spare parts (accessories)
- Various type of bicycles
- Various type of motor cycle and spare parts (accessories)
- Various type of spare parts for motor vehicles, machinery and its related products
- Home decoration (including flowers and plants)
- Various type of handicrafts and souvenirs
- Artwork, musical instruments and other related accessories (excluding antiques)
It is important to note that while the sale of the abovementioned priority goods under wholesaler/ retailer registration certificate are allowed, domestically manufactured value-added products will still be sold as priority. Further, the import and sale of goods must comply with the laws, rules, procedures and conditions of the relevant ministry for each type of goods. According to the needs of the country, the list of the prioritised goods may be amended and issued by the Ministry of Commerce.
If you have any questions or require any additional information, please contact Thuzar Tin, or the ZICO Law Myanmar partner you usually deal with.
This alert is for general information only and is not a substitute for legal advice.